Personal Law
September 27, 2022

How do I move out of shared property?

As the start of a new term at university or college begins, you might be swept up in the excitement of moving into your new rented property. However, whether it’s halls or a shared house, you will be entering into a legal contract, and ignoring the terms of your contract might cause you problems further down the line, especially when you want to move out.

While, at the moment, you might not see any reason you would want to move out before the end of the contract, things can change. In this article, we look at how to move out of shared property.

What is an HMO?

An HMO (house in multiple occupation) is a property shared by three or more unrelated people (not part of the same household), sharing facilities in the property such as bathrooms, kitchens and living areas. Most student houses will be HMOs, and landlords must follow extra procedures if this is the case.

If I move out of the property, will the agreement end?

No, you cannot simply move out of the property as you have signed a binding legal agreement; therefore, moving out will not bring this to an end, and you will still be liable to pay rent. However, you may have a break clause included in your agreement.

Check your contract for a break clause

If you have a break clause in your tenancy agreement, this can let you leave early before your tenancy ends.

However, there is no standard format for a break clause, and many are very specific, only being able to be used on or after a specified date. You should seek advice to see if you can use the break clause in your agreement to end your tenancy early. It may not also be called a ‘break clause’, so you should look for anything that refers to giving notice or ending the tenancy early.

If you are just moving into your property and haven’t yet signed your contract, you could request a break clause to be included to allow early termination of the tenancy.

Can I be released from my tenancy agreement?

It is very unlikely you will be released from your contract with a private tenancy. If you live in halls, many universities will release you from your housing contract if you leave university. However, most students do not stay in halls.

It is always worth speaking to your landlord about a possible release; you may have compelling grounds to do so that might impact your ability to pay rent, such as on compassionate grounds.

Can I find someone else to replace me?

If your landlord does not release you from your agreement, they may request you find a replacement for your contract. In this circumstance, a new contract will be signed by your replacement, your contract will end, and your deposit should be refunded.

Need to talk to us?

Our Commercial & Dispute Resolution team are on hand to advise on any issues relating to landlord and tenant matters. Please telephone 01892 526344 or email

For further information on all our property services, please click here.

Fixed Fee Appointments

If suitable, we offer an initial one hour appointment with a Commercial & Dispute Resolution Solicitor for a fixed cost of £195 + VAT. This gives you the opportunity to discuss your matter and consider your options. This can be in person, via telephone or video link. Please get in touch if you feel this type of appointment would be beneficial.

The contents of this article are for the purposes of general awareness only. They do not purport to constitute legal or professional advice. The law may have changed since this article was published. Readers should not act on the basis of the information included and should take appropriate professional advice upon their own particular circumstances.

Let's Share

Related Posts

You Might Also Like

Not what you're looking for?

View All Posts